We often talk about Clocktower as being “simple” to use, and “easy” to learn. Whenever I am chatting with someone about the benefits and features of Clocktower, I invariably bring up one of the achievements we are proudest of… our Permissions set.
Unlike many systems that force you to learn a new vocabulary (admin, super admin, editor, contributor…what was that again?), Clocktower offers a much more granular approach. All Clocktower users are created equal. A person in Clocktower is simply a person. I know, so refreshing! So what are these permissions I speak of?
There are 5 Permission types in Clocktower: Approve Time, Track Others’ Time, View Time, Track Own Time, Admin. All of these Permissions can be set right on a Project except the Admin permission, which is set as a Company level Permission.
Setting Permissions at Project level
Setting Permissions at Company level
- Admin of Company: Allows user access to the People & Projects tab. Without Admin permission this tab will not appear. Admin allows users to add, edit, and delete People and Projects within their given company. An Admin of an Office can also add,edit and delete Clients.
- Approve: All time Submitted on a specific project will be visible on your Approve Time tab. You will be able to approve time for that specific project for anyone submitting time on that project.
- View: Allows you to view all time on the Project on the Dashboard
- Track Own: This means the project is available to a person when on the Timesheet tab. A person needs permission to Track Own time on at least one project in order to enter time in Clocktower.
- Track Others: A person with this permission can enter another person’s time on this project IF that other person has permission to Track Own. This is especially helpful for recruiters and payroll processors to manually enter time for other employees when the need arises.